Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Sunday memories

I remember Dad would shine his shoes (or our shoes and his shoes) Saturday evening to be ready for church the next day.  I can picture the wooden box that held everything.  He would work on them in what we called the Laundry Room.  I don't shine my shoes as often but when I do, I think of him doing that and how his shoes would last.  Also, wanting to look appropriate for church.

Speaking of shoes...when I was little, we had what we referred to as "Sunday shoes".  They were shoes purchased to wear primarily on Sunday.  I suppose kids are still getting these for Easter wear but this was typical for that time.  They were great for sliding on the ice or snow.  I remember sliding down a small hill on the playground at Windsor Elementary and another time on a hill on Cummins Pkwy north of University Ave.  We knew we shouldn't be sliding in them but they had the best soles for it.

Typically for me these shoes were purchased at Lazy M Shoes at Merle Hay Plaza.  Back when you stomped your feet and could hear a noise bouncing off the storefronts.  I recall a pair of olive wingtips probably 1st or 2nd grade.  The question after purchase was always "do you want to wear them out"?

Another memory is getting our hair right on Sunday morning. This would date back to 1968 or before and going to First Methodist Church.  Dad had Brylcreem or similar and we would slick back our hair and part it.  I remember Dean helping me part my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment